The tower has a ribbed
vault ceiling. The organ was originally on a gallery under the tower but was removed to
the north transept of the new chancel in 1878, and the gallery was removed from the front
of the tower arch at the same time.
The oak screen at the front of the tower was put there in 1887, and the royal coat of
arms (just visible above the door) is that of William IV, taken from the Archdeacon's
Court which used to meet in the south aisle. The gallery railings hold a golden emblem,
whose design includes the crossed keys of St Peter.
The stained glass window in the tower is by Powell of Whitefriars Glassworks, after the
style of William Morris, and is in memory of the Rev George Edgcombe who was Rector from
1870 to 1906. It is thought to be the finest glass in the church.
The original roof line of the second church, rebuilt in 1180, can be seen on the tower
wall. It can be plainly seen that west end is asymmetrical, which seems to be because the
north arcade (on the right) was built inside the existing north wall of the nave (see